Friday, January 24, 2014

Winter Gratitude

It's cold out. There's snow on the ground with more on the way. And we're not even out of January yet.

I have no reason to complain. Do I have cabin fever? With two young children, the answer to that is obvious. But I don't dwell on it.

We have lots of windows that provide abundant sun when it shines. We have a pantry full of food, as well as fridge and freezer. We have wood for our woodstove. We have warm and comfortable beds.

We have high speed Internet that provides entertainment of movies, TV shows and music. We have a craft cupboard and Pinterest to keep us busy making things.

We have a tractor with a plow and a can of diesel. We have new snow tires on our four wheel drive Honda. We have salt and shovels.

We have clean water to drink, bathe, and do laundry with. We have books to read and letters to practice writing, that is if you're four.

So, does the cold and snow get old? Absolutely. But so does oppressive humidity and heat in the summer. Rain in the spring. And wind in the fall.

But I, for one, couldn't live in a place without the change of seasons. Look around and make a list of what you're thankful for.  It might surprise you!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I could live somewhere that doesn't have the change in the seasons either. I love it when spring first appears and then when summer comes. Fall is absolutely beautiful and the snow in the winter is beautiful also. I just get tired of it being one way for too long! lol I love the snow but I don't like the extreme frigid -0 temps we are having right now. It was -9 this morning when I took my kids to the bus stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't care for the cold, either. I've been spending most of my days tending the wood stove. But, at least we have heat!

      And I'm looking forward to the green explosion this spring :-)

      Delete