Saturday, March 1, 2014

Storm Preparations

I love my smart phone. I'm able to snap quality pictures with it which is important with two young kids. I use it to video chat with my family. It shows me the weather.

Normally, the temperature is shown in a blue box at the top of my phone. But today, it turned red. And that means one thing. Nasty weather is on the way. A winter storm warning with a possibility of ice accumulation and 6+ inches of snow.

We didn't run our to buy up all the toilet paper or bread (I'll be baking that tomorrow). No, we spent the day at my mom's house splitting firewood. And by we were splitting, I mean Dan and my step dad while the kids hung out with my mom and I.

Living in a passive solar home, we rely on the sun as our main heat source. And how wonderful it feels when the sun does shine! Our woodstove is our secondary heat source, but it has seen a lot of use this winter. With the polar vortex and sub zero temperatures, parts of this winter have been down right brutal. And so we have burned through most of our wood. So, it feels wonderful knowing that a truck full of wood is in our garage ready to keep us warm this week and hopefully for the rest of winter as well.


And while we were gone, this crazy thing happened not far from our house!

1 comment:

  1. This has been one crazy weather winter! We are so blessed that we have free gas so we heat with a gas log fireplace along with electric central heating/ac. The free gas really saves us a lot of money especially during this time of year. Hope the electric stays on at your house and the storm won't be as bad as they are predicting. I didn't make a special trip to the store either. I am very well stocked up. If for some reason we run out of milk I have powdered milk that we can make. I also can make my own bread should we need that too! lol

    ReplyDelete