Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Soil Remineralization

I've been doing a lot of reading lately (something I don't get to do very often!). I ran across a book on our statewide online lending library called The Intelligent Gardener. It is an interesting read and one that has completely caught my attention.

The idea behind the book is that our food we grow is lacking in nutrients because our soil lacks the proper mineral balance. When the minerals are balanced, plants are strong and healthy and pests are few. I'm still working my way through the book (it is information heavy!), but it appeals to my analytical side. And he doesn't bore me with his talk about chemistry.

And it just so happens a few weeks ago, I ran across a free cookbook. As I read through the beginning of the book, it turns out that the author is herself a huge proponent of remineralizing soil and growing the most nutrient dense food she can. I can't wait for fresh produce this summer to try her recipes out. She has a pretty cool website and offers a guide to growing nutrient dense foods.

I'm going to keep reading and researching and finding the best way to implement this into our garden. It all makes so much sense to me and it allows me to dust the cobwebs off my chemistry degree :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment