Sunday, November 27, 2011

Expansion

When I set this blog up, it was meant to serve the purpose of journaling the building of our new house.  I have come to realize that we are not just building a house, but a home where we can raise our family.  A home where we can have free range chickens to provide us with all the eggs we could want.  A home where we can raise dairy goats and make all the cheese we desire.  A home where we can chase fireflies in the summer and build snowmen in the winter.  A home where we can pursue our passions - baking, wine making, knitting, gardening, hiking...I could go on really. 

An article in the Washington Post recently has really hit home with me:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-new-domesticity-fun-empowering-or-a-step-back-for-american-women/2011/11/18/gIQAqkg1vN_story.html?wprss=rss_opinions
I chose to study Chemistry at both the undergraduate and graduate level.  I enjoyed learning.  I am proud of my accomplishments.  Now, as a mom to an almost 2 year, I love being a stay at home mom.  I adore Kole and could not imagine not being with him during the day.  Yes, there are day cares in the area.  And yes, I could have pursued gainful employment after grad school.  But, I now realize that I would not have been happy doing that.  It is not something I am passionate about.  I have become passionate about homemaking and homesteading.  It makes me feel empowered to be able to provide for my family in a non-monetary way.

Because of that, I hope to expand this blog to include this passion - I hope to post about chickens, goats, knitting, baking, green cleaning, and other homesteading/homemaking topics.  While it may not be directly related to building our house, it is intimately linked with building our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment