Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry Christmas!

We had a lovely Christmas. We spent all of the day hanging with our kids, family close by, and video chatting with those far away. Isn't the internet awesome?

My dad made us my grandma's famous ham loaf for Christmas Eve dinner. And we enjoyed it Christmas day as leftovers, too! I feel like Duke from those Bush's Baked Beans commercials, always trying to steal the secret family recipe. But, I didn't have to steal it since my dad shared it with me!

Ham Loaf

3 lbs ground smoked ham
1 lb ground fresh pork
2 eggs
2 cups bread crumbs

Mix well and form into two loaves.

Sauce:
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 vinegar
Heat until the sugar dissolves.

Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour, then reduce heat to 275 or 300 degrees and bake slowly for another hour or so. Baste with sauce every 20 to 30 minutes. The more you baste and the slower you bake them, the better they get!

And the day wouldn't be complete without another great sunset. I'm so grateful to be able to see the sky ablaze with such amazing color! I hope you and yours had a wonderful holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment