Wednesday, August 20, 2014

CSA Wednesday

We tried something a little different this week. Instead of me picking out our box, I let Dale from Fish Hawk Acres do it for me. I tend to gravitate toward the same produce over and over again, but that's not the point of the CSA. The point is to get a wide variety of in season goodies. Since Dale is a chef, he picked out some really awesome looking veggies and things we wouldn't normally pick!


Dale picked for us some heirloom tomatoes, poblano peppers, a sweet jalapeno (the flavor of jalapeno without the heat!), shiitake mushrooms, red candy apple onion, white candy onion, eggplant, a chocolate bell pepper, tomatillos, and some new potatoes. Everything looks fantastic!

An idea of what we'll do with the produce this week - I made some potato soup with bacon. I'm planning some mashed potatoes to go along with a grassfed beef roast and green beans from our garden, and this weekend, I have my eye on a recipe for butternut squash and mushroom enchiladas with a tomatillo sauce. I have some butternut frozen from last fall and I want to use it up before we get our harvest this year. We're already sitting at about 2 dozen as long as the chickens leave them alone!

What local things are you cooking up this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment